You’ve enjoyed your inground pool all summer and are planning your pool closing when you get a water bill that is a lot higher than usual. Now, what on earth could that be about? Then it dawns on you… Could it be… Oh, no… Help! How can I tell if my pool is leaking?! Before you contact the bank to refinance the house to pay for repairs, take a deep breath. This may seem like a catastrophe, but the good news is that most pool leaks are easily repaired — particularly when you act promptly and get the pros at Fronheiser Pools involved.
Signs That Your Pool is LeakingThere are some common signs that you may have a pool leak, including the aforementioned higher-than-normal water bill. Here are some common other indications that you may have a leaking pool:
- A wet mushy spot in the yard near the pool
- The pool water level often needs to be topped off by two or more inches
- A sudden and dramatic drop in chemical levels
- An algae infestation over a very short period of time
- Puddles of water underneath your pump, filter, or heater
- Cracks or broken tiles in or around the pool
- A tear in the vinyl liner of your pool
The Most Common Reasons Your Pool is LeakingThere are some typical scenarios when a pool leak is discovered, and while it does happen, broken pipes underground are not the most likely cause. Whew.
- Tears in your vinyl liner. Tears do occur in vinyl liner pools. They are easily patched or replaced, and it is not a complicated or expensive repair. You do, however, need to act without delay and call out your professional pool technicians from Fronheiser Pools.
- Cracks in a concrete or gunite pool can occur with age. Similarly, tiles can break or crack, which can contribute to a leak.
- The skimmer throat can develop a leak due to the sealant breaking. This is actually a very common issue and is an easy fix with pool putty.
- Leaks around your pool equipment can be due to a pressure-side return leak or a suction-side leak. Older equipment may need replacing.
- Loose fittings on railing, slides, and other pool accessories can cause leaks.